[mpeg-OTspec] Proposal related to Last Resort fonts

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Thu Apr 9 21:59:17 CEST 2009

Hi Sairus,

My original impression (maybe incorrect) was that it would be okay to
have both standard cmap table support and 'last resort' cmap in the same
font. It's feasible that one may want to create a Unicode fonts where
supported code points would be encoded using e.g. cmap formats 0, 4 and
12, and unsupported code points would be encoded using cmap format 13
(although I am still trying to wrap my head around this as to why a
different glyph rather than .notdef glyph would be needed to convey the
same thing, maybe we should say something about it).

As far as possible duplication of the same code point in both standard
and "last resort" tables is concerned, I am not sure if we need to
explicitly handle this in the spec. Right now, it is feasible that the
same code point could be encoded in different standard cmap formats
(e.g. format 4 and 12) and that the same code point could be (by
mistake) mapped to different glyphs. This may simply constitute a bad
font but the spec doesn't address this issue. For "last resort" fonts,
we could just say that a font engine should look into "last resort"
mapping table only if the code point is not present in the standard
table.

I like your proposal to provide explicit definition of the Encoding ID
values.

Thank you,

Vlad