[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Aug 27 01:30:03 CEST 2009

Ken Lunde wrote:

> I was in a meeting this morning, and its discussions led to an idea
> for another <ComponentFont> attribute that we have not yet considered.
> Under some circumstances, especially when dealing with embedded fonts,
> it may be useful to specify whether the font is embedded (in a file
> that references the Composite Font or the Component Font) or available
> on the device (a "device" font). This, of course, would be optional,
> but I guarantee that some producers will want to specify this.

Before considering this, I think it would be a good idea to agree on
some terms and their meanings, given the confused history of the use of
the word 'embedded' with regard to OpenType fonts. The OT spec talks,
re. the OS/2 embedding bits, in terms of embedding in documents, while
the 'Embedded' OpenType EOT spec talks about the same bits in terms of
embedding that actually means web linking. I presume this latter use --
which I consider idiosyncratic -- is not what you mean, Ken, but perhaps
it would be a good idea to delineate what you do and do not mean by
'embedding'.

Regards, John

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

Car le chant bien plus que l'association d'un texte
et d'une mélodie, est d'abord un acte dans lequel
le son devient l'expression d'une mémoire, mémoire
d'un corps immergé dans le mouvement d'un geste
ancestral.  - Marcel Pérès