[mpeg-OTspec] New "Composite Font Standard" document

Leonardo Chiariglione leonardo at chiariglione.org
Tue Dec 15 13:12:30 CET 2009

Ken,

Excellent.

I have done the following

1.      Converted your pdf file to a doc file (MS word is the format adopted
by MPEG because it allows reuse of text, a basic feature in a collaborative
environment like this)

2.      Edited the file in track change mode

3.      Changed the file name by using yyyymmdd_lc

4.      Attached the file to this email

You may think that some changes are not essential and there may be elements
of truth in this. However, if you agree to the changes we get agreement on
issues that I believe are of substance.

I will try and explain my point

1.      The title of the first section has been changed to "Design
features". OS independence is a consequence of the fact that CFS is an
information representation standard, so it has been taken out of the
bulleted list

2.      At the abstract level there are 4 actors: creator, encoder, decoder,
consumer. Don't let's talk about the names, yet. If you don't like the names
I am fine with calling the actors A,B, C and D, Creator and consumer are
humans (maybe there are more general cases when they are not, but let's
stick to humans for the moment).

3.      Creator has intentions that he captures in his encoder - an
application

4.      Consumer has intentions that he expresses by setting his decoder

5.      The standard only addresses the decoder. The document is silent on
exactly "what" of the decoder is specified. I guess that the interface
through which the consumer sets the decoder is not part of the standard, but
then it would be good to say this explicitly (note that all this is work
saved for the moment in which the standard will be written)

6.      In MPEG we use the name conformance, but you can read it as
compliance

Please feel free to react on anything I did.

For me this is a very pleasant experience.

Leonardo