[mpeg-OTspec] New "Composite Font Standard" document

Leonardo Chiariglione leonardo at chiariglione.org
Tue Dec 15 23:08:27 CET 2009

Ken,
To me the document is fine the way it is, save for the "optional" part.
The text

NOTES: Although not yet reflected in this document, the notion of "optional"
refers to an attribute whose inclusion is deemed to be optional according to
this specification. Likewise, some attributes are required. A future version
of this document will make the "optional" versus "required" distinction
clear, for both tags and their attributes.

As a matter of philosophy I object to the use of the term "optional" in a
standard, because the purpose of a standard is to tell users what they
should do to achieve interoperability.
Of course I know that not everybody may have the same notion or requirement
of interoperability. As you may remember from an earlier post, since its
early days MPEG has struggled with this reality and has come up with the
"profile and level" approach.
Instead of having a placeholder for "optional" with the intention to give it
a meaning later, I would like to give a meaning to "optional" and then find
a place for it.
As I said interoperability requirements are not the same for all, so there
is nothing new for MPEG in your request, but I would like to get a
formalisation of the thing before admitting it in
Leonardo