[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed mandatory and optional features of the Composite Font format

Daniel Strebe dstrebe at adobe.com
Fri Jul 31 03:39:40 CEST 2009

Mikhail:

Thank you for the thoughtful proposals. I agree with Ken Lunde's responses (so I will not echo them) with the exception of this matter:

Before drilling into exact syntax of such properties, I would like to discuss one particular issue. I believe some of the optional properties can be safely ignored by the composite font consumers without breaking the intent of the composite font producer, while other optional properties should cause the consumers unable to honor their semantics to skip containing elements entirely.

I do not think the specification should give creators authority that can be so easily thwarted. Many consumers will choose to ignore "mandatory" directives because those directives do not suit their purposes. Meanwhile providing a mechanism to specify mandatory elements will merely encourage "control-freak" creators to mark everything in sight "mandatory". Neither we, as the owner of the specification, nor the creator, whose intent is expressed by the recipe, has any practical ability to "enforce" what is called "mandatory". Should we not stick with the policy that anything stated in the recipe expresses the creator's intent? And that elements absent in the recipe signal no particular intent? A mandatory signal is redundant, and redundancies are to be avoided, if for no other reason than that a consumer will digest a recipe and immediately find itself confused over elements present but not marked mandatory. Are the unmarked elements actually optional? If so, why are they present?

Instead of a "mandatory" flag, should we not allow the producer to rank elements according to how important they are? How is "mandatory" versus not mandatory anything more than a polarized ranking of "not so important" to "critical"? And once we ask that question, can we not see that the creator cannot assess the needs of the consumer and really ought not to be trying? The creator can state its intent already without assigning metrics of gravity to the elements. Its own intent is all it knows. The consumer knows how well it can honor that intent and is obliged to honor it to the extent that it can. Surely no one's legitimate interests are served by handing creators a mechanism for bullying consumers into rejecting what might be a perfectly serviceable interpretation of a recipe just because the creator suffers delusions of power.

I think we should analyze explicit scenarios that require the "mandatory" mechanism before we inject it into the specification. I would be very surprised if we found any scenarios that really benefit from it.

Regards,

- daan Strebe
Senior Computer Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated