[mpeg-OTspec] Re: AHG conference call reminder

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Tue May 19 14:57:24 CEST 2009

John,

I think you meant to use "component fonts" in the last paragraph for
the second instance of "composite font."

But yes, I agree, and this is another case of when the Composite Font
author may wish to specify a version for one or more component fonts.

And as daan and I have been advocating, the format should not require
this, but it should be possible to set this.

Font formats are littered with required fields, and because they're
required, and because some font developers don't care about those
fields or simply don't know how to properly set them, they may have
bogus or garbage values. If we were to do the same in the Composite
Font format, it would significantly amplify this issue. Ambiguity at
one level is bad enough, such as in a single font, but when it is at
multiple levels, which is what Composite Fonts are all about, it
should be avoided.

Regards...

-- Ken