[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

Jeff Engelman jeff.engelman at infoprint.com
Wed Sep 2 22:46:56 CEST 2009

A few thoughts ...

Target Font - how will this be specified?  Does it need to be on the same
system -or- can it be on a server / internet  e.g.
http://ibm.com/fonts/CourierIBM.ttf ? What is the 'unique name' ... Full
Font Name - file name - WWS - combination of these?   I would like to see
a way to specify a font that isn't on the current system.  Possibly,
define a web solution then get W3C to use this iso standard - just so the
W3C doesn't come up with another mechanism to implement.

Scaling - we have implemented vertical size and a horizontal scale factor
(percentage of the vertical) - but we're ok with going with any scheme.

Baseline Shift - we have implemented this function on some of our system
and we're ok with going with any scheme.

Other parameters such as Unicode Ranges - we haven't done but it's on my
list.

Language Tag - do we need a method of stating that the language is Complex
and that layout engines shouldn't try to use other ComponentFonts during
composition?  Do we intend on allowing Complex Scripts to span
ComponentFonts?  This could get messy.

Sizing - it would be helpful to be able to specify a different font
depending on the pointsize requested.  This would help with migration of
legacy applications.

I apologize for having more questions than solutions.

Best Regards,
Jeff Engelman
' 720-663-3617
* jeff.engelman at infoprint.com
Ä Typography for the IBM Corporation and InfoPrint Solutions Company, a
Ricoh | IBM Joint Venture

Ken Lunde <lunde at adobe.com>
Sent by: mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com
08/14/2009 03:07 PM

mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com
cc

Subject
[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

All,

In an effort to move the discussions forward, I would like to
enumerate the primary functional tags, along with my initial ideas
about what properties or attributes can be specified for each. I have
already floated these ideas, but now that we're in basic agreement
about some principles, I am able to condense this into a more readable
format.

Here we go:

Tag: <ComponentFont>
Attribute: Target (required; a unique name for the font)
Attribute: ScaleFactor (optional; scaling factor, expressed as a
percentage)
Attribute: BaselineShift (optional; baseline shift, expressed as a
percentage)

Tag: <Language> (optional)
Attribute: Target (required; an IETF language tag, as specified by
RFC 4646)

Tag: <Encoding> (optional)
Attribute: Target (required; the Unicode ranges to be used in the
Composite Font)
Attribute: Original (optional; the encoding ranges in the Component
Font, if different than the "Target" attribute)

Of course, an appropriate XML namespace will need to be specified.

In looking at the Composite Font feature of Adobe InDesign, there are
two types of scaling factors, both of which are independent from one
another, meaning that both can be specified. One is a uniform scaling,
applying to both the X- and Y-axis. The other is axis-independent
scaling. While I am all for giving people enough rope to hang
themselves, I consider this to be comparable to supplying the
developer with razor-impregnated rope, and strongly suggest that the
specification allows for only uniform scaling for the "ScaleFactor"
attribute for the <ComponentFont> tag.

To everyone in this discussions, please think about additional
attributes for these three functional tags.

Regards...

-- Ken.

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you." _____________________________________________________________________________