[mpeg-OTspec] Toward a Composite Font format specification

Daniel Strebe dstrebe at adobe.com
Tue Sep 22 03:30:04 CEST 2009

Vladimir,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the scenario I contrived. Let me note first that I do not disagree with anything you wrote, particularly, but only on the significance. Hence we may be back to a philosophical discussion.

With regard to your point (3), I agree entirely, but I do not see the relevance. The inadequate tools presenting themselves to Marina's team did not arise out of failures of specification. Specifically they did not come about as a consequence of a specification failing to describe compliance criteria. Therefore our prescribing mandatory versus optional portions of a consumer implementation will not prevent the circumstances Marina's team finds itself in.

Instead, the inadequate tools came about because of gaps in implementation, if we wish to judge unkindly. But a more realistic view is that those who developed the tools judged that the market for a fuller implementation would not reward the effort needed. It means little to for us to chide the browser developers for not even kerning their text-and yes, that is the present state of affairs with all browsers except Firefox on Macintosh-when there is no practical mechanism available for a Web designer to display body text in the font of her choice. It is the market that determined how much effort Web browser developers were willing to invest into compliance, not the specification. When the market conditions change, browser implementations will change.

The same goes for Marina's team. You are correct to note that they would not have to do the work later if they implemented the specification according to our standards, but that is almost never anyone's goal, and shouldn't be. The only time it makes sense to delay putting out a product in order to add potential future functionality is if the cost of doing it later would overwhelmingly exceed the cost of doing it now. That would never be the case with composite font levels of implementation.

Our constituency will find themselves in same position. We may elect to gather together some arbitrary subset of our final specification and call it "mandatory", but: (A) I am fairly certain the subset WILL be arbitrary, meaning not reflecting the needs of any particular market or consumer; and (B) Whatever we have to say about it will get ignored entirely in favor of market forces anyway. That will happen for several reasons.

For one thing, this specification will never carry any sort of marketing cachet. That is the cold, hard truth. There won't ever be some emblem on a box that people will look for with confidence. No company will come to us begging to certify their implementation so that they gain a market advantage.

For another, this is not some optical storage medium specification, where the realities of physics and engineering not only dictate the tolerances that get written into the specification, but also punish the violators. Our enterprise is fundamentally different. Composite fonts won't fail catastrophically just because someone only implements part of the specification. There are endless grades of utility. We will not be able to isolate some subset of the specification and defend that subset as being somehow better or preferable to some other subset. If so, then why would we do it? More to the point, why would an implementer bother to follow our implementation requirements if they perceive an advantage to not following them?

For yet another, and this is corollary to the last, there isn't really any such thing as "interoperability" on the consuming side. Therefore implementers of composite font consumers won't feel any pressure to adhere to recommendations whose ostensible purpose is "interoperability". The consumer knows what it's trying to achieve when it consumes composite fonts. We do not. Unlike optical media, we cannot describe the consumer's precise intent. We cannot say anything so pithy and absolute as "The consumer wants to read off the disc any of the information that was recorded onto it, unchanged, now and forever." All we can say with any confidence is that the consumer is trying to do something with fonts (possibly) aggregated into some über-font. What the consumer wishes to do next with the data it works with is entirely the consumer's purview, not ours.

More specifically, If the consumer writes a PDF, the consumer is going to want to write one according to how it used the composite fonts, not how we thought it might want to use them. Therefore our argument for interoperability would fail. If the consumer wishes to put out text in some interchange format, it may consider its own usage to be idiosyncratic and specific to its own circumstances, and therefore may pass on the composite font recipe in its original form. Or, like the PDF case, the consuming application may be directing downstream consumers to retain fidelity to its own document presentation, and therefore the consuming application may write out the subset of the composite font recipe that it made use of while discarding the rest. "Interoperability" here is, again, a decision we cannot make for the consumer because we know nothing about the consumer's intent. Therefore we cannot be in the business of telling consumers this or that is mandatory versus optional.

We must focus our efforts on the communication of the intent. Seeing to it that consumers fulfill the intent is not our business. We have no means to enforce it, no way to divine the consumer's intent or business, no realistic expectation we will be heeded if we try.

Meanwhile it is in everyone's interest to adhere to the specification of recipes. That the part we should focus on and get right. We do not have to make any arbitrary decisions for anyone in specifying this language for communication. Everyone will be happy if the intent can be specified as precisely as needed.

So. If I may make some requests, I would like you to address three matters specifically:

 1.  What do you mean when you talk about "interoperability"? What scenarios will fail if consumers are allowed to decide their own level of implementation, versus our deciding what is mandatory and what is optional?
 2.  How will our decisions on "mandatory" versus "optional" be defensible as anything better than arbitrary?
 3.  You stated that, if the consumer did not claim "compliance" with the specification, that no harm would be done in only partially implementing the specification. Do you believe this specification will become so important that overt statements of compliance will carry market weight? (I would argue even OpenType does not carry such weight. Products merely state they can use OpenType fonts and what kinds of things they can do with them; nobody claims "compliance".) If it does not carry market weight, what would be the motive for a developer to implement more than they believed their application needed just to be able to claim "compliance"?

Regards,

- daan Strebe
Senior Computer Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated