[mpeg-OTspec] New file uploaded to mpeg-OTspec

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Fri Jan 15 20:55:46 CET 2010

To those involved with the Composite Font Standard effort,

Please take the time to download and go through the file that I just uploaded, which is Apple's "Spliced Font" XML form. I included it as an attachment in my email from a week ago, but I felt that I needed to more explicitly draw everyone's attention to it, so I uploaded it as a file. Why? Because it does much of what a CFS object is intended. While I don't think that it can be used as-is, I have yet to make this determination. In other words, I'd like to have other sets of eyes/brains looking closely at this document.

Here is my understanding of the hierarchy of the elements that are specified by the format (I am using arrows for indicating hierachy, because it seems that leading spaces are stripped by the Yahoo! service):

PosingFont
-->Name
-->FontMetrics
-->Components
----->ComponentDef
-------->Matrix
-------->UnicodeCharSet
-------->cmapOverride
----------->map
----->LanguagePreferedList
-------->LanguagePreferedComponentDef
----------->ComponentDef
-------------->UnicodeCharSet
-------------->cmapOverride
----------->language

Note that I am simply illustrating the raw hierachy and nesting of the elements, and have intentionally ignored whether the elements are required, optional, can be specified only once, can be specified more than once, or are in an "or" relationship (such as "ComponentDef" and "LanguagePreferedList" elements that are nested inside of the "Components" element). For that, please consult the document proper.

In any case, I like what I see, and would like to get assessment from others.

One clear advantage of standardizing on what Apple has developed is that there is a "very good chance" that Apple will support it, mainly because they already have done so.

Enjoy the weekend!

-- Ken