[mpeg-OTspec] Interaction between kern table and GPOS table

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 20 04:45:14 CET 2010

I'm strongly in favor of Sairus' proposal, on both the general level (we
need some definition of expected behavior of consumers), and on the
specifics (I think that his proposal is pretty much the ideal approach,
given where we are today).

Font developers have asked for this sort of thing, because without it they
don't know how to build kerning that works well in legacy environments, yet
also takes advantage of the newer OpenType / OFF capabilities such as class
kerning for modern environments.

Regards,

--
"The rat's perturbed; it must sense nanobots! Code grey! We have a Helvetica
scenario!" — http://xkcd.com/683/