Coverage table format 2 text

Bob Hallissy Bob_Hallissy at sil.org
Tue Jun 8 00:11:55 CEST 2010

 From the original TrueType Open
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tt/tt_open/msdn/ttoch02.doc>
specification all the way to ISO/IEC 14496-22:2009(E)
<http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c052136_ISO_IEC_14496-22_2009%28E%29.zip>,
the OpenType Coverage table, format 2, contains this descriptive text:

> The Coverage Indexes for the first range begin with zero (0), and the
> Start Coverage Indexes for each
> succeeding range are determined by adding the length of the preceding
> range (End GlyphID - Start GlyphID +
> 1) to the array Index.

This whole sentence seems nonsensical (at least to me) given that the
Start Coverage Index for each range is actually specified in the Range
Record itself:

      RangeRecord

Type 	Name 	Description
GlyphID 	Start 	First GlyphID in the range
GlyphID 	End 	Last GlyphID in the range
uint16 	StartCoverageIndex 	Coverage Index of first GlyphID in range

So what am I missing? What is the descriptive text in the spec trying to
say?

Thanks,

Bob