[mpeg-OTspec] AHG on Font Format Kick-off

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Mar 1 19:54:03 CET 2010

Ken, all,

I appreciate your efforts but I am afraid you misunderstood what I said in my earlier post. I do not see how any part of it could have been interpreted as a suggestion to include a modified version of Apple's Spliced Font Format in the CFP. To the contrary, what I said was that CFP can *not* require a specific implementation be the only suitable result - this would contradict the purpose of making public call for proposals to find the best technology for a technical solution we are trying to develop.
In addition, there may be other issues we need to consider. As I mentioned in my previous message, I assume that specification for Apple's Spliced Font Format is copyrighted by Apple, and we have not yet heard from any of Apple representatives on this list whether they in fact would be willing to contribute their technology to ISO. I understand the benefits of developing a standardized solution that would be compatible with already existing implementations supported by at least one major vendor; but for "Call for Proposals" to be successful we need to concentrate on defining requirements and evaluation criteria in a way that would set the bar high enough to make sure that the best technical proposals would be selected, and not just the one particular solution we currently see as a strong candidate.

Regards,
Vladimir