[mpeg-OTspec] OTL feature suggestion : Required Contextual Forms <rclt>

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Mar 3 06:46:38 CET 2010

Adam Twardoch wrote:

> So if the font maker considers the "calt" feature "required" for the
> "latn" script in her font, she can point the ReqFeatureIndex for
> "latn"/DefaultLangSys to the "calt" feature.

But a font may contain different kinds of contextual substitutions, some
of them considered required and some of them not. The font maker may
wish the user to be able to turn off the latter without affecting the
required substitutions.

Of course, one way around this would be to put the required contextual
substitutions into a different feature than <calt>, reserving the latter
for substitutions that one doesn't mind being turned off, and tagging
this other feature as the ReqFeatureIndex. But which feature? There is
the issue of discrete feature processing ordering to consider, which
makes <ccmp> not always appropriate because, depending on script, the
input strings for the required contextual substitutions might not occur
until long after <ccmp> has been processed. Presuming one wants the
ReqFeatureIndex tagged feature to be used for contextual form
substitutions analogous to those in <calt>, one would probably want a
feature that was processed at the same time as <calt>.

Whichever way I look at it, an <rclt> feature looks desirable. Actually,
since the architecture obliges us to distinguish default state at the
feature level, one could argue that a number of existing features should
flavours, as those for ligatures do.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

Car le chant bien plus que l'association d'un texte
et d'une mélodie, est d'abord un acte dans lequel
le son devient l'expression d'une mémoire, mémoire
d'un corps immergé dans le mouvement d'un geste
ancestral.  - Marcel Pérès