[mpeg-OTspec] RE: [OpenType] Kerning

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Fri Mar 26 02:10:53 CET 2010

John wrote:
> I think what you have raised in the past few days is a different issue: what to do if a font contains a kern table and non-kerning GPOS.

This situation is in the original proposal; it hasn't just been brought up in the last few days. The relevant snippet from the proposal is:

> (a) If the number of kern feature lookups in the resolved language system in the GPOS table is zero, then the kern table must be applied, followed by any remaining GPOS features requested.

"The number of kern feature lookups" can be zero if either (i) no kern feature is present, or (ii) a kern feature is present but has no lookups. The language of the proposal is intended to cover both these cases.

Would it be clearer if instead of " If the number of kern feature lookups in the resolved language system is zero..." we said something like "If there is no kern feature or if the number of kern feature lookups in the resolved language system is zero..."?

I'll also take this opportunity to remind folks once again that:

a. Important fonts such as Times New Roman and Arial in Vista have a kern table and a GPOS table with no kern feature. We found this out when people reported that kerning didn't work for these fonts in InDesign -- not something we can say "Too bad!" to very easily.
b. If fonts with both kern and GPOS tables are rare cases, I could see the spec/recommendations being silent on how to handle them. But as I'd pointed out earlier, 4 fonts in XP SP2, 65 fonts in Vista, and 81 fonts in Windows 7 Enterprise have both kern and GPOS tables.
c. The proposal is in the recommendations section and not in the spec proper.

Here is the Adobe current proposal in its entirety (with 3 "must"s changed to "should"s):

<<<
When a kern table and GPOS table are both present in a font, and an OFF layout engine is requested to apply kerning to a run of text of a particular script and language system: (a) If the number of kern feature lookups in the resolved language system in the GPOS table is zero, then the kern table should be applied, followed by any remaining GPOS features requested. (b) If the number of kern feature lookups in the resolved language system in the GPOS table is non-zero, then all GPOS lookups, including the kern lookups, should be applied in the usual way and the kern table data ignored.
If a kern table but no GPOS table is present in the font, then an OFF layout engine should apply the kern table to the text, regardless of the resolved language system of the text.
If compatibility with legacy environments is not a concern, font vendors are encouraged to record kerning in the GPOS table's kern feature and not in the kern table.

Concrete suggestions for how to modify the proposal so as to be more satisfactory are welcome.

Sairus