AHG kick-off - Composite Font Representation work

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Thu Nov 18 17:18:35 CET 2010

Peter,

Thank you for your message and for your interest in the development of the a Composite Font representation.

This work started back in early 2009 (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mpeg-OTspec/message/96) as an exploration activity based on the proposal from Microsoft and other members - you may find all the related discussions in the AHG email archive. There are also intermediate documents that AHG produced and discussed during the course of the exploration activity, and the draft descriptions of the requirements and use cases that were considered. The documents are available from the AHG File storage: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mpeg-OTspec/files/.

The issues you outlined in your email are exactly the problems that we are trying to solve, and I believe this was clearly documented in the Requirements document. The Call for Proposals was closed at the last SC29/WG11 meeting in October, and the Working Draft is now being prepared. I welcome your feedback and contributions to this work, we are in the very beginning of the development process and the input from the members of the group would be valuable to ensure the quality of work and the resulting standard.

I will let the original proposers answer the specific questions regarding some of the proposed  elements and attributes, and the specific examples.