[mpeg-OTspec] RE: AHG kick-off - Composite Font Representation work

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Nov 19 17:29:52 CET 2010

Peter Constable wrote:

> I identified some possible reasons for having data describing
> combinations of font resources, but also indicated that I wasn’t aware
> of any problems regarding interoperable interchange of such data needing
> to be solved...

I think the current set of problems needing to be solved are indeed
negligible, but that is surely in part because composite fonts are not
widely used and neither users nor software developers -- including font
developers -- have started exploring all the ways in which composite
fonts might be used.

I see having a standard composite font representation opening up a
number of interesting avenues for font use that address existing
problems arising from incompatible metrics in different scripts, size
specific font selection, etc.. I also anticipate markets for custom
composite fonts as a delivery format from font vendors, including things
like customised corporate font packages for localisation. A standard
data description for combinations of font resources makes this sort of
thing possible.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the
light of a story. -- Paul Elie