[mpeg-OTspec] RE: Proposed Script tag additions

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Nov 22 22:31:22 CET 2010

John, Peter, all,

I researched the process for establishing a Registration Authority and I doubt that it can be simply done by amendment. We will most likely need an amendment once RA is established but first we need to get there.

According to ISO/IEC Directives [1] and JTC1 Directives [2], the registration authorities are established during the development of a standard that requires maintaining a registry. Usually, the process of doing this includes issuing a Call for Registration Authority, which establishes a period when interested parties can respond by declaring their interest and intention to serve as RA. The candidates for RA will have to provide certain assurances to ISO in order to qualify - these assurances will essentially be seen as a commitment to provide the needed resources and facilities to support the functions of RA without requiring any financial contribution from ISO/IEC Secretariats or their members.

I do agree that establishing a registry for OT/OFF feature tags would be a good thing, but the process of doing this has to be followed, and we definitely will need to have National Body support for this.

Best regards,
Vlad

[1] http://www.iso.org/sites/ConsumersStandards/en/pdf/ISO%20IEC%20Directives%20Part%201%20-Procedures%20for%20the%20technical%20work.pdf
[2] http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/fetch/2000/2489/186491/186605/Jtc1_Directives.pdf?nodeid=3959538&vernum=-2