[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue Apr 5 20:07:55 CEST 2011

Vladimir wrote:

> We can also consider changing the proposed
> media types, e.g. to be more specific and use font-ttf, font-cff and
> font-otf for the purposes outlined above.

If the distinction is to be based on outline type, then I think
'font-ttf' and 'font-cff' is much preferable to using 'font-otf' for the
latter. The only reason .otf is not typically used as a file extension
for TrueType fonts is so that the latter are backwards compatible with
older Windows systems that do not recognise .otf; this is obviously less
of a practical concern than it was in 1998, and now persists mostly as
convention. I have, however, seen some TrueType fonts with an .otf
extension.

OTF stands for OpenType Font, not PostScript OpenType Font, and the
first item in the OpenType catechism is that an OpenType font may
contain either TrueType or PostScript outlines. Hence, I think it is
misleading or at least confusing to identify 'font-otf' with PostScript
outlines.

I also wonder about using either 'font-off' or 'font-otf' to indicate an
unknown outline type: the former because OFF is not a widely used or
recognised abbreviation -- the Open Font Format being reasonably seen as
a particular publication of the OpenType Font specification --, and the
latter because of potential confusion in the minds of those who, due to
convention, associate .otf with PostScript outlines.

I wonder if there might be grounds for a generic 'font-sfnt' MIME type,
which would not only express the desired agnosticism regarding outline
type, but would also be useful for fonts containing non-OTL layout tables.

So we might have:

	application/font-ttf
	application/font-cff
	application/font-sfnt

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the
light of a story. -- Paul Elie