[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Tue Apr 5 23:16:52 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:01 PM Chris Lilley wrote:

> What is the current state of "supports TrueType but does not support
> OpenType, either because of the Type 1 glyph shapes or because of the
> extended language support options" implementations? Are they still
> significant?

While most of the advanced devices now capable to render either type of outlines, and many of them also support advanced layout, there is a significant number of consumer electronics devices that are only capable of rendering TTF, and their abilities to support advanced features depend on the market region / language requirements.

> If yes, then at minimum we need an internet media type that identifies
> TTF. If no, then we need to decide which of application/font-otf and
> application/font-off is more likely to succeed, as they mean the same
> thing.

Personally, I am fine using either one (font-otf or font-off), but since the document these definitions will appear in (and the ISO organization that produced this document and is behind this effort) calls it "OFF" - I'd consider using font-off as a generic type.

Regards,
Vlad