[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types [1 Attachment] -- WOFF?

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Fri Apr 15 21:44:51 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I brought Bob's question to the attention of the WebFonts WG, and the result of the discussion that followed is summarized below:

WebFonts WG realizes that there are many devices with different capabilities. The media type "application/font-woff" was registered specifically for use with WOFF resources - according to the WOFF spec, the primary purpose of the WOFF as a resource type is to be used for Web documents where fonts are linked by means of CSS @font-face rule. Since CSS has its own mechanism to signal format hints, they believe that no additional optional parameters are needed for 'font-woff', even though the WG acknowledged the fact that other applications may benefit from having different media types and, possibly, additional optional parameters defined for fonts.