[mpeg-OTspec] RE: FW: Proposed Script tag additions

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 11 02:15:49 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM, John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:

> Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>
> > ...do we want language-specific shaping specification
> > be kept "as is" (i.e. as separate specifications), or would be useful
> > and reasonable to make them part of the ISO OFF standard, e.g. add them
> > as annexes to establish a compliance point for text layout engine
> > implementations?
>
> I would be in favour of making the script and language shaping
> specifications part of the OFF standard. As numerous people have
> complained to date, there is no OTL implementation specification, and
> this would be an important step towards creating one.

I am one of those complainers. Where these writing systems are concerned,
the OpenType specification is adequate for neither font development nor
app/OS development without the language-specific information. The language
specs are not just optional niceties, but rather are core functionality, and
should be treated as such.

Regards,

“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone,
 somewhere, may be happy.”
 —H.L. Mencken