[mpeg-OTspec] RE: Proposed changes to the OFF specification

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Thu Jul 21 10:37:59 CEST 2011

Dear Michelle,

I (personally) think Panose 2.0 is something like yet-another
Panose restructured from scratch, and it is not so easy to
extend existing Panose 1.0 implementation to support both of
Panose 1.0 & 2.0 seamlessly. I guess Chris Lilley mentioned
Panose 2.0 for the ownership and the license info, and he is
not proposing to use Panose 2.0 in future OpenType, at present.

# I'm interested in whether Chris (and other W3C people) is
# still in the discussion for Panose 2.0 licensing with HP.

Anyway, the decision if Panose 2.0 should be supported in future
OpenType (via OS/2 or any other new table) must require more time
to investigation. It's correct.

But, SC34 does not ask about the extension for Panose 2.0. SC34
just asked for the further clarification of existing Panose in
OpenType spec.

Regards,
suzuki toshiya, SC34 member, Japan