[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Rename "preferred" family to "typographic" family

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Nov 24 04:55:57 CET 2011

I support replacing 'Preferred' with some more descriptive name, but
wonder if 'Typographic' might be too vague. Heck, it's a font: it's
*all* typographic.

If I think about what typically goes into these fields, I would be
inclined to characterise it as the 'Foundry Name', although perhaps this
wouldn't mean anything to software developers. It's the name that groups
the font in a family as defined by the person(s) who made the font,
rather than as a family for the purposes of some specific pieces of
software. If we can think of a name that conveys this somehow, I think
that would be a useful clarification.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_