[OpenType] ReqFeatureIndex: obsolete?

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Wed Nov 30 00:34:42 CET 2011

I'd like to work on a formal proposal to deprecate ReqFeatureIndex. This is a preliminary call for concerns.

The wording would be something like: "This field has been deprecated as of OT 1.x. Fonts should set its value to 0xFFFF." Stronger wording may be warranted, depending on how this "call for concerns" plays out.

As stated in my previous message below, it doesn't make sense to keep this facility since a different and incompatible scheme for "required features" was later introduced: the OT layout specifications at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/SpecificationsOverview.mspx ("Script-specific Development" section). These specifications indicate certain standard features as required or not; e.g. the 'fina', 'medi', and 'init' features are required to be applied for Arabic layout (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/features.aspx).

These are incompatible schemes since, to quote from my message below:

"[ReqFeatureIndex] doesn't make sense in a layout model wherein features are to be applied one at a time, as in MS' Arabic layout spec -- should the required feature be applied every time one of the features is applied, or only once? If once, when? Before the other features, after them, or at some other point?"

If we support the layout specs model then we should be deprecating ReqFeatureIndex, or at least clarifying when ReqFeatureIndex should be applied if we really want to keep this facility.

So, as a start, please speak up if you think ReqFeatureIndex should not be deprecated.

Thanks!

Sairus