[mpeg-OTspec] Proposal: .OTC filename extension recommendation

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 5 22:56:32 CEST 2011

Just one comment on this bit:

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Sairus Patel <sppatel at adobe.com> wrote:

> **
>

> { === The following edits apply to
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/recom.htm [OFF sec 7]: }
>
> 8. { Replace the current contents of the "Filenames" section: }
>
> OpenType fonts may have the extension .OTF or .TTF, depending on the kind
> of outlines in the font and the creator's desire for compatibility on
> systems without native OpenType support.
>
> * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines) always have
> an .OTF extension.
> * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
> depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older systems or with
> previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection fonts should have a .TTC
> extension whether or not the fonts have OpenType layout tables present.
>
> { by: }
>
> OpenType fonts should have the extension .OTF or .TTF, depending on the
> kind of outlines in the font and desired backward compatibility.
>
> * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines) should
> always have an .OTF extension.
>

> Surely that should be ", unless they are in an OpenType Collection."

Actually, it is the presence of this statement in the previous spec that
caused me to believe that TTCs with OpenType outlines were not allowed, as
it seemed the only reasonable way to reconcile these two ideas:

- all fonts with CFF data must have an OTF extension
- all TrueType Collections must have a TTC extension

Cheers,