[mpeg-OTspec] New cmap format

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Apr 4 03:19:24 CEST 2012

On 03/04/12 5:48 PM, Opstad, Dave wrote:

> So if my font has, say, an "abc' precomposed form, its unicodes[] array in its GlyphInfo structure could have the three Unicodes 'a', 'b', and 'c' in that order, and the FeatureInfo for the glyph could identify the features (OpenType and AAT) that cause the precomposed form to be made. It's not exactly the same as your notion, in that 'Zapf' provides a list of Unicodes and not glyphs, but it's quite similar, I think.

But sort of the opposite in that, so far as I understand, it maps a
sequence of multiple Unicodes to a single glyph, whereas I am proposing
mapping single Unicodes to a sequence of multiple glyphs.

I'm thinking in terms of stripping fonts down to the minimum set of
glyphs necessary to compose Unicode text on the fly using positioning
features.

J.

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_