[mpeg-OTspec] New cmap format

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Apr 4 04:41:45 CEST 2012

On 03/04/12 7:25 PM, Martin Hosken wrote:

> Rather than burdening every font shaping engine and rendering engine already in existence with a table format that people are liable to ignore for a long while yet, how about using a tool to autogenerate all your compound glyph references for you. A tool like ttfbuilder could do that after font generation. Alternatively one could write a tool to autogenerate the necessary GSUB rules to break apart the ligatures.

I already have such development tools, and it still seems to me a lot of
extra stuff to manage, as well as resulting in larger and more complex
fonts than would be necessary if one didn't need to include in them
glyphs that may never, in fact, be displayed.

> I agree, shaping engines should do the right thing here and decompose where a composed cmap entry is missing. In fact they should also compose decompose sequences where a composed cmap entry exists. So the issue cuts both ways. Another reason why just having a decomposing cmap isn't necessarily going to solve the problem for everyone.

Most engines already perform composing operations for precomposed
Unicodes, because there was a time when the processing gain of
performing composition at the character level seemed significant. And
may still be significant for some people, which is why I am not
proposing to change anything that already exists or force anyone to stop
making fonts in the way they already make them. I'm suggesting a
mechanism that would allow us to make fonts in new ways that are smaller
and simpler.

I should clarify that these are two separate matters:

1. Engines should be able to map precomposed Unicodes in text to
decomposed Unicodes in a font, if these are the only ones available,
rather than displaying a .notdef glyph.

2. In addition, there may be a use for a mapping mechanism from any
single Unicode (not only those with canonical decompositions) to a
sequence of multiple glyphs that can display the character, without the
intermediary step of mapping a default glyph for that Unicode.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_