[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] RE: Proposal: deprecate ReqFeatureIndex

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Aug 22 20:02:38 CEST 2012

On 08/22/2012 01:56 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> On 22/08/12 5:07 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
>>> And I agree with you that the ReqFeatureIndex is just daffy.
>
>> IMO you are contradicting yourself, as ReqFeatureIndex does *exactly* what you
>> are asking for. Ie, a feature that can't be turned off!
>
> No, it does not do what I want. What I want is a feature for contextual
> variants that should not be turned off, entirely akin to the <rlig>
> feature vs the other ligature features. The ReqFeatureIndex provides for
> a single developer-selected layout feature to be identified as required.
> That doesn't seem to me useful in the context of what I want to do. To
> what existing layout feature should I apply ReqFeatureIndex? I can't
> apply it to <calt> because I have lookups in that feature that are
> discretionary and can be safely turned off. And what if I have a font
> with required contextual alternates and also some other feature that I'd
> like to be required?

Wrong.  ReqFeatureIndex does not have to point to an existing feature.  In
fact, a font editor can give you an option to mark certain lookups as
mandatory, and the font builder can put all those mandatory lookups in the
required feature.  You are confusing font format with what font editor UIs
provide.  What's missing is UI and support in font builders for what you want.
 Don't impose it on the font format please.

I go as far as declaring it wrong to encode any additional features before the
a clear layout spec is drafted first.  The half-documented soup of features we
already have is way more than we need, adding more is insanity to me.

behdad