[mpeg-OTspec] Re: New work on 3rd edition of the OFF (AHG kick-off) - name table

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 21 22:00:38 CEST 2012

One issue Bob's comments raise has to do with the way that platform and encoding IDs are used both for name records and cmap subtables. In a cmap subtable, the difference between UCS-2 and UTF-16 is really important since specific formats would be needed to support UTF-16. In contrast, there's nothing that would necessarily need to be different for name table data structures. In fact, I doubt that there's anywhere in the Windows platform where a name table string might get processed that would assume UCS-2 and _not_ UTF-16.

Hence, there might not be any problem if the spec were to state that 3/1 _or_ 3/10 name strings are assumed to be encoded as UTF-16; or even further, to stipulate that 3/10 should not be used in name records and that 3/1 name strings are assumed to be UTF-16.

Peter