AHG Kick-off

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Fri Feb 17 22:21:24 CET 2012

Dear AHG members,

At the last WG11 (MPEG) meeting we had achieve two important milestones - we finalized the Composite Font Representation standard (ISO/IEC 14496-28:2012) which has been promoted to the International Standard status, and we completed the work on second amendment of ISO/IEC 14496-22 "Open Font Format". Thank you all for your contributions to these important work items. It was noted at the meeting that the font standard published by this working group are now among widely used standards, with OpenType / OFF standard being referenced by many other industry standards such as JCP, OMA W3C and EPUB specifications. See MPEG press release (http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/meetings/san_jose12/sanjose_press.htm) and congratulations on this major achievement.

This doesn't mean though that our work is done, and we have a number of good proposals on how the spec can be improved that were already submitted to this AHG. Our mandate for this work period (until the next MPEG meeting that will take place on April 30 - May 4, 2012):
1.       To study the OFF text with the goal to identify generic requirements and recommend ways the spec can be improved by separating implementation-specific parts from general data format requirements
2.       To propose the changes to the description of the OS/2 "Panose" field and recommend a way the proposed changes can be implemented.
3.       To conduct exploration activities with participation of the W3C on integrating SVG outlines as new glyph description format in OFF.
To collect and evaluate the proposed changes and improvements to the OFF standard and produce a report with recommended work items for WG11

I would like to encourage you to submit your proposals for discussion by this AHG.