A container to include Composite Font Representation XML and the component fonts

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Sun Feb 26 15:25:04 CET 2012

Suzuki-san,

This sounds like a very attractive option for font developers who specifically use CFR in order to break the 64K glyph barrier -- which is one of the design goals of CFR, and which started the whole thing -- and want to keep the CFR XML and the component fonts that it references in a single place, and to prevent them from becoming separated or distributed (in the sense of becoming separated).

When CFR is employed for the purpose of defining font-fallback behavior, the proposed ZIP-like container would have little or not benefit, at least in my opinion.

I, too, would like to hear others' opinions about this idea. I feel that it has merit, speaking in terms of a container format, and regardless of the format (such as ZIP), for the scenario that I described above.

Regards...

-- Ken