Draft AHG report

joshua_hadley_monotype joshua.hadley at monotypeimaging.com
Tue Jan 31 18:14:00 CET 2012

--- In mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <vladimir.levantovsky at ...> wrote:
> The next WG11 (MPEG) meeting will take place on Feb. 6-10. Please see attached the draft AHG report summarizing the activities of the ad hoc group for the last couple of months. I would appreciate your comments and/or corrections, if I don't hear from you by the end of the day tomorrow, I will upload the report as is.

I'm not sure whether it's applicable or even possible for the February meetings, but I'd like to at some point get a group discussion going on larger issues in the 'name' table, as Sairus Patel alluded to in a previous message to the list(s):

>There is a lot of work that needs to be done in the 'name' table spec, some of which I'm comfortable proposing, and some not:
>- Separating out all the recommendations for what should go in name tables into the Recommendations section, for a start. I'm fine proposing this.
>- Making sure those recommendations are precise and accurate (they aren't). This information has to come from and be maintained by Microsoft and Apple, at the very least, since it involves how Windows and Mac OS/iOS APIs use information in the font.
>- Documenting divergences and existing usage would be good as well, and perhaps more historical notes as to how OT name ID 1 came to be defined the way it is.

With the number of implementations growing, it is important to have clear and accurate requirements for OpenType a general sense, and perhaps some up-to-date recommendations for popular platforms. So regardless of whether it can be addressed in the next meeting, it would be great to get the ball rolling on this.

Joshua Hadley