Need OpenType Standard Language Tag for Marshallese Language

hopkinsjd1 jdhopkins8791 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:52:34 CEST 2012

Hello:

The international non-profit organization I work for makes publications sent all over the world, including to the islands of the Pacific. We have found in our linguistic research that the Marshallese language (from the Marshall Islands) uses special versions of some Latin characters peculiar to it. However, there is no official OpenType standard language tag for Marshallese that font and application developers can use to tell OpenType fonts to switch to these language-specific Latin glyphs.

Adobe, Inc. developers suggested that our company work through this online group to make Marshallese part of the OTspec standard. I would like to suggest using the tag 'MAH '. It is based on the ISO 639 language code standards for Marshallese. How can I see that this tag (or if there is a problem with it, something like it) becomes part of the OTspec for Marshallese?