AHG Kick-off and mandate until July 29th

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Tue Apr 30 21:53:22 CEST 2013

Dear all,

At the last week MPEG meeting the Committee has renewed out ad-hoc group activities with the following mandate:
1.       To finalize the working draft of the 3rd edition of ISO/IEC 14496-22 (OFF).
2.       To evaluate the proposed changes and improvements to the OFF standard and discuss their integration within the OFF spec.
3.       To conduct exploration activities with participation of the W3C on integrating SVG outlines as new glyph description format in OFF.

4.       To study the PDAM 1 of ISO/IEC 14496-18:2004

The main goal for this period (until next MPEG meeting scheduled July 29 - Aug. 2) is to finalize the text of the third edition working draft OFF and get it ready for promotion to Committee Draft. This means that any changes you would like to be part of the new specification need to be discussed and agreed upon by the end of July. Further changes would be possible but will require formal responses as ballot comments. We will also continue our joint exploration activities with W3C on evaluating the proposals to integrate SVG outline representation with OpenType / OFF layout capabilities.

Last, a new amendment for MPEG-4 font compression and streaming (14496-18) was initiated to update the MPEG-4 font stream decoder configuration info and add various items and clarifications, including the ability to store font stream data in ISO Base Media File format. With Netflix surpassing 4 bn. hours of streaming content in Q1 2013, and with wide-spread adoption of Timed Text ML, WebVTT, SMPTE TT and other rich media subtitling formats - I believe that we would see a rapid adoption of font data streaming capabilities in the near future (along with the web fonts that are gaining a significant momentum), and updates to MPEG-4 part 18 were long overdue.

I am looking forward to your continued participation!