[mpeg-OTspec] Conflicts between language system tags

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Feb 27 01:37:29 CET 2013

On 26/02/13 4:18 PM, Martin Hosken wrote:

> Another thought came to my mind is that we say "if the lang tag is 4
> char then it uses iso639-3 codes"

We already have four-character language system codes that do not conform
to that: <IPPH> and <AMPH> for IPA and Americanist phonetic
transcription. When Peter and I spec'd those, we were thinking in terms
of a four-character code indicating a non-natural language script use,
but figured there might be other uses for such tags, as we now face. I
think it would be a mistake to try to link the number of characters in a
tag to particular assumptions, but instead assign meaning to specific
prefix characters as proposed by Andrew and Peter.

J.

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_