[mpeg-OTspec] RE: Updates to script and language tags

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Wed Feb 27 22:38:11 CET 2013

Hi John,

I've been reviewing the additional tags you proposed. Those that are conflicting with existing tags will require separate consideration, once we finalize our approach on how to deal with it in a consistent manner.

However, I also noticed some deviation from what is defined elsewhere and wanted to make sure that we have a record of it prior to making spec changes:

-          'cak' - ISO defines it for "Kaqchikel",  IANA registry has it two ways the language is described/spelled: "Kaqchikel" and "Cakchiquel" (as you proposed). I would go with ISO spelling since it's also the first choice in IANA.

-          ISO 639 has 'fat' tag assigned to "Fanti" - I would go with the ISO spelling;

-          'lua' tag is defined by ISO for "Luba-Lulua" (while 'lub' is defined for Luba-Katanga). OT spec has defined 'LUB' tag for "Luba" - do we really need to split them into two separate entries?

-          We already have 'EUQ' tag defined for Basque;

-          ISO has 'cpp' defined for Portuguese-based "Creoles", can you please point to the source for different spelling (Crioulo)?

-          'kjd' is defined for "Southern Kiwai" and 'cuk' for "San Blas Kuna" - should we go with these names instead?

-          'myn' is defined for "Mayan" language (a minor difference in spelling only, I would go with ISO spelling);

-          Couldn't find 'pob' for "Pocomchi" anywhere - can you please provide a source reference for it?

-          'acr' is ISO - defined for "Achi" (without Rabinal);

-          We already have 'SOT' tag defined for both Northern and Southern Sotho - do we really need to split them?

-          We already have 'TKM' defined for "Turkmen";

-          'tvl' is defined for "Tuvalu" (I'd go with ISO spelling);

-          'esu' is defined by ISO as "Central Yupik".

Can you please review these and respond with your comments?