MS Proposal: 'svrt' feature

Michelle Perham mihill at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 3 22:30:35 CET 2013

I have one last proposal to submit on behalf of Microsoft. This one was also put together by Dwayne Robinson. If people feel it's worthwhile, we'll need to draft the text as it would appear in the spec.

Details: The OpenType 'vert' feature adjusts the positioning and form of numerous upright glyphs in vertical text. However, there is no OpenType feature to adjust positioning and form of glyphs of other non-ideographic scripts in vertical text, such as Latin turned 90 degrees clockwise. This results in poor alignment of certain punctuation. Using 'vert' for these non-upright characters would be unwise because 'vert' substitutes glyph forms that are expected to be upright rather than turned, so this can result in doubly turned glyphs like brackets and arrows (such as U+2192). Had 'vert' only changed positioning and form, it could have been used for both, where higher level layout would have controlled character orientation via a standard like UTR 50. However, since 'vert' has historically conflated orientation into the substitution, I propose the distinct 'svrt' GSUB/GPOS tag for such usage - credit to Elika Etemad for the idea.

Thanks!

Michelle
Microsoft Typography Group