[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Bob Hallissy Bob_Hallissy at sil.org
Sat Jan 5 05:04:47 CET 2013

I agree that this kind of info could be extraordinarily helpful... but
I'm wondering if a simple list of language IDs is sufficient?  I think
the problem is more complicated than that, and we may need to step back
a bit and figure out what info is really needed. The following is a bit
more "thinking out loud"...

Broad-spectrum fonts like Times New Roman or Charis SIL highlight some
unique issues:

- They support many hundreds of languages. Enumerating the list for such
fonts will be the first challenge. Moreover, the design of a data
structure to hold the resulting list needs to accommodate hundreds of
entries with reasonable expectations on client searching.

- What if certain OT features have to be enabled for the font to render
language-appropriate shapes?  (IMO the 'locl' feature is currently
insufficient as it depends on OT language tags which are incomplete for
the 6900 languages of the world.)

- The growth (and convergence) of web-font and mobile technologies has
resulted in a growing interest dynamic font subsetting. This is related
to the subject issue because both involve a prior problem: knowing what
characters are needed to support a given language.  I wonder if we
shouldn't be focusing on how to populate and utilize something like CLDR
Exemplar data
<http://cldr.unicode.org/translation/characters#TOC-Exemplar-Characters>
-- then fonts might not have to explicitly list what languages they
support (except for the problem of language-specific shaping).

Like I said, I think the problem is more complicated....

Bob Hallissy