[OpenType] TrueType-flavored ".otf"

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Tue Jan 15 16:31:52 CET 2013

All,

While we're on the subject of "Recommendations for OpenType Fonts," some of my recent work with TrueType has demonstrated that virtually all modern TrueType-capable environments no longer depend on or adhere to the "First Four Glyphs in Fonts" portion, specifically that GIDs 1 through 3 can be arbitrary glyphs. Only GID+0 (.notdef) must be present and must also function as the ".notdef" glyph. This reality brings TrueType in better line with PostScript-based fonts in which only GID+0 must be present and function as the ".notdef" glyph.

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/recom.htm

-- Ken