[mpeg-OTspec] RE: Updates to script and language tags

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Jan 17 21:00:55 CET 2013

On 13-01-17 01:46 PM, John Hopkins wrote:

> My understanding is that Persian is a macro language of which Farsi is a part.
> Calling Farsi "Persian" is like calling Italian "Latin". I would recommend not
> changing Farsi to Persian as the Microsoft proposal indicates.

Your understanding is wrong.  Farsi may be used to qualify Persian as used in
Iran (similarly, Dari and Tajik can be used to qualify Persian as used in
Afghanistan and Tajikistan), however, the analogy to Italian vs Latin is plain
wrong.  It's more like English vs American English / British English.

Here you go, the authoritative body of the language in Iran holds the URL
"persianacademy.ir".  Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farsi_language

behdad