Request to increase limit on post name ID

Bob Hallissy Bob_Hallissy at sil.org
Wed Jan 30 18:02:44 CET 2013

The current spec says, in the post table format 2.0, that:

Index numbers 32768 through 65535 are reserved for future use.

This effectively limits fonts to 32K glyphs unless we want to abandon
any hope of extracting usable texts from glyph streams.  In any case,
having to ensure no more than 32K glyphs have postscript names makes
font development more difficult.

You might ask: why don't I just put the postscript names in there
anyway? The reason is that products like Firefox are being more
stringent about what fonts are acceptable, especially for web fonts, and
fonts that have glyph name IDs greater than 32767 are being rejected
because they violate this clause of the standard.

Is there any reason to continue to reserve IDs 32768 through 65535? Or
is the future here and we should start permitting those IDs?

Bob Hallissy