[mpeg-OTspec] Armenian East-West Distinctions

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Jul 10 19:59:14 CEST 2013

On 10/07/13 10:01 AM, Andrew Glass (WINDOWS) wrote:

> There are a couple of options here: make a new language tag or make a
> new script tag. In principle, the language is the same, so it is not
> appropriate to make a new language tag – I believe that ISO 639-3
> registration authority would reject the request. The differences you
> refer to are in the orthography, and so a script difference is
> appropriate. There is precedent for script variants to be given distinct
> script codes within ISO 15924. See for example Syriac, Han, and Latin:

Yes, this makes sense in the context of ISO 639-3 and ISO 15924, but not
in the context of OpenType language system tags, I think. The convention
there has always been to make orthographic distinctions at the language
system tag level, and to reserve the script tag to reference Unicode
scripts. This is what enables OTL engines to make decisions about script
tag based on character codes in the text, and fonts to provide
orthographic variation based on language system tagging. This is also,
of course, why mapping OTL language system tags to ISO 639 document
language tags will always remain hit-and-miss: they record different
kinds of information (which is why, sensibly, CSS3 provides for OTL
language system tagging independent of text language tagging).

In the case of East vs West Armenian, it does look like ISO conventions
would favour a script tag distinction. But that doesn't get us any
closer to being able to affect orthographic distinctions within OpenType
glyph processing, since regardless of script tag the Unicode script is
the same, and OTL language system tag is the normal place to capture
orthographic distinctions within a script.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_