[mpeg-OTspec] Draft AHG report

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Thu Jul 25 16:15:01 CEST 2013

Hello Bob, all,

The reason I included the recommendation to postpone the promotion of the working draft is two-fold:

-          the WD combines the major changes that were made in the past via amendments to the 2nd edition text, and new, relatively innocuous additions and clarifications (and none of them would be considered time-critical) – the delay in the 3rd edition publication (as it exists today) isn’t going to be a limiting factor for implementers and early adopters.

-          All major changes made in the past have already been published as official amendments so, again, delaying the publication of the combined text isn’t strictly a concern at this point.

However, I agree with you that the addition of the color font technology is a major undertaking that would be a worthy and ambitious cause for 3rd edition of the standard to become a significant milestone. I’d rather wait and go through the official process of collecting and evaluating various proposals and making tough decisions along the way than having two projects being done in parallel  - going through all the official steps ratifying 3rd edition text and, at the same time, working on the amendment to include color font technology. It seems that it would be much more productive for us as a group and for industry as a whole to combine these efforts.

Would you agree?

Thank you,
Vlad