[mpeg-OTspec] Tighten name ID 2 spec?

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Tue Jun 25 00:20:31 CEST 2013

John,

I see name ID 2 as simply the user-facing string associated with the face in a 4-face style-linked grouping.

I don't see a problem with this user-facing string indicating the "true" weight of that face, e.g. "Semibold", if that’s what the foundry wants. The font engine shouldn't have any use for this string except as a UI label; the underlying style bits (or weight class and friends) should be what matter, and should be set appropriately. Also, the usual name table localizations should apply.

That said, its wording is definitely stale, and I'd welcome a proposal to tighten it, though what you suggest goes excessively far, IMO.

Also, I should say that an app UI that does have 4-face style groupings could express the styles as name ID 2 (whatever its contents), as a hard-coded string corresponding to the style bits ("Regular", "Bold", etc), as two buttons or checkboxes, or other means – an app isn't *required* to use name ID 2.

Sairus