[mpeg-OTspec] Conflicts between language system tags

John Hopkins jdhopkins8791 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:58:14 CEST 2013

Christopher wrote:

>We already have a precedent for encoding additional information in the
fourth character of an OpenType tag: in the script tag we have "...2"
indicating version 2 of the Indic scripts (e.g. 'bng2', 'dev2', etc.).

>I also think it makes sense to use 0 instead of 6, and reserve 1-9 for use
(in ascending order) in resolving future issues as they arise.

>My vote in your straw poll is for 'KAB0'.

I don't have a problem with this myself. But would there possibly need to
be versioning for these types of language tags as well in the future? If
so, would '0KAB' be better to keep the distinction between the two
languages and have versioning too, such as '1KAB', '2KAB', ... ? Otherwise
you could have problems distinguishing between versions of the two
languages assigned to 'KAB ' and 'KAB0'.

Sorting and parsing are nice. But ultimately the most important function of
these tags is identification and distinction between languages and their
versions for the purposes of OpenType fonts.

Best regards,
John D. Hopkins