[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed update of the 'head' table flags

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Thu May 15 01:53:37 CEST 2014

Thomas,

You wrote:

> What would it mean to deprecate the current DSIG, exactly? Would we be telling people not to put it in fonts? Or telling consumers not to rely on it being present, or not to rely on it being meaningful, or...?

All of the above, I think. ;-)

There are fonts out there with valid DSIG tables, and some with "stub" (empty) ones. Given the persistence of fonts, updating fonts to remove the DSIG table would be an ordeal (and a half). Going forward, font developers should not include DSIG tables, but part of that message needs to be coupled with Microsoft changing their products to not depend on the presence of the DSIG table.

It sounds like a "baby steps" approach to deprecation will be necessary.

I think that for font developers, the current practice of production should continue until the infrastructure no longer depends on the DSIG table.

Microsoft then has work to do. :-)