[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed update of the 'head' table flags

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:34:37 CEST 2014

On 15/5/14 07:55, Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu [mpeg-OTspec]
wrote:

> That depends: if the application uses its own code for OpenType support,
> then Microsoft's is irrelevant. For example, Adobe's applications use
> their own library for font support.
>
> But if it uses the same Microsoft APIs, then yes, it would be affected.
> I expect Serif PagePlus is in this camp; being a Windows-only
> application they would have little motivation to roll their own code for
> this purpose.

I was under the impression that the presence or absence of DSIG did
*not* actually affect OpenType processing on Windows; its only effect
was to prompt Windows Explorer to show an "O" icon instead of a "TT"
icon for the font.

This naturally tends to be interpreted by users as having some deeper
significance - such as that OpenType features are only available in
fonts with the "O" icon - but in fact "TT" fonts with OpenType layout
features, yet without a DSIG table, still worked fine. Is this no longer
the case?

JK