[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed OS/2 table updates

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri May 16 10:51:10 CEST 2014

On 17-May-14 01:20, David Lemon lemon at adobe.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> The proposal below is missing a mechanism to identify the set of fonts
> that work together as a series of optical size ranges. In families that
> go beyond the simple four-style model (Regular, Bold, Italic, & Bold
> Italic) I believe it’s necessary to include some means of associating
> the correct set of fonts. That’s why the earlier ‘SIZE’ layout feature
> included this information. I thought that there was going to be an
> update to the proposal to include this. I don’t think it makes sense to
> add this to the spec if a patch is on the way.
>
> FWIW Adobe was going to add this feature to our fonts two months ago but
> remains blocked by the absence of the missing piece.

Michelle, can you follow up with Greg on this? We discussed this issue
at the recent OTL engine developer meeting in Seattle, and looked at a
couple of options for adding the kind of mechanism that David
identifies. There seemed to be general agreement at the meeting that
such a mechanism is, indeed, needed, and I think it would be a good idea
to get this agreed on and spec'd before updating the OS/2 table with a
partial implementation.

My own suggestion is that two additional fields be added to the OS/2
table which would point to enumerated name table fields, and that the
format for these would be identical to those spec'd in the old GPOS
'size' feature. This would enable fonts that contain such name fields
already to be very easily updated to work with the new OS/2 size data.