[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed OS/2 table updates

Michelle Perham mihill at microsoft.com
Tue May 20 21:28:29 CEST 2014

Thanks for the feedback. The original intention was that name table ID 16 (Preferred Family Name) could be used to group fonts together that are in the same family but that vary in optical style. For example, the Sitka family has ID 16 set to “Sitka” for all fonts. An operating system can search for all fonts with ID 16 = “Sitka”, then use the OS/2 size values to differentiate the optical styles. This enables operating systems to group fonts based on optical styles just as they do weight, width, and slope.

As several people have pointed out, this doesn’t work in all cases. For example, if a foundry wants to group fonts together with the same value for ID 16, but include in that set fonts that vary in other ways than weight, width, slope, and optical size. For example, if Sitka had an informal variant, the above would require it to have ID 16 = “Sitka Informal”, thus it would not group with “Sitka”.

We’re looking into this and will get back to this group. We also welcome ideas others have.

Michelle