SVGZ in SVG+OpenType

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Oct 25 09:56:18 CEST 2014

Hello,

On the public SVG+OpenType mailing list I proposed adding support for
gzip-compressed SVG documents to SVG+OpenType.  You can read the entire thread
here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svgopentype/2014Aug/thread.html#msg0
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svgopentype/2014Sep/
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svgopentype/2014Oct/

I tried to back the proposals with hard numbers, and we agreed on a format
with Adobe and Mozilla.  This is what the proposal is:

Allow gzip-compressed SVG documents where SVG documents are currently
accepted.  Gzip-compressed documents start with 0x1f 0x8b bytes, and that can
be detected by clients to disambiguate content.  The gzip packaging of data
also includes the uncompressed length of the data which can be used by clients
for security reasons.

As there are only one current implementations and the format is backwards
compatible, it was recommended on the mailing list by Sairus to keep the table
version number to the current number.

I personally like to see this adopted by the SVG+OpenType working group.
Sairus also suggested that I share these findings with these lists and hence
my report.

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks,
--